Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Where this obsession all began.

Let me take you back to about 1989. I was a six year old girl with two brothers, a mommy and a daddy. On this particular Christmas, I opened up a present, containing the most beautiful, sweet, lovely, awesome doll in my world. What's this doll you ask? Well, her name was Baby Sparkles, little sister to P.J. Sparkles. I immediately fell head over heels in love with this doll baby. She was perfect! And I had been told she looked just like I did as a baby. But I later found out, that it was just hair color and eye color. She smelled of baby powders! She had curly blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes! She had pretty pink lips and cute little feet and hands! And the best part was, if you kiss her cheek, and her head went back, SHE WOULD SPARKLE!!!!!!! What?! I must have been AWESOME that year for Santa to bring me Baby Sparkles!!! I had never been so excited. I remember ripping the box open to get to her. I remember everything about that moment! I remember carrying her around EVERYWHERE I went. I remember my brothers giving me grief about my doll baby. I remember how much I loved, truly loved this doll. She was the best thing and the only thing. Nothing compared to my Baby Sparkles.
Here's where it gets nasty. One day, my brothers and I were fighting, like we always did. I happened to have Baby Sparkles in my arms when this particularly terrible pick session was going on. It was my turn, again, to be bullied and beat up on. It seemed like it was always my turn. Baby Sparkles was wrapped up tight in my arms, my brothers trying to pull her away, me crying and begging for them to leave us alone, and my brother grabs her head, tries to pull her away from me. I scream as I watch her head leave my arms. I look down, her body I still have a hold of. I was mortified. I thought for sure it was the end of the world. My brother, seeing how upset I truly was, decided he would try to put her head back on.... with roofing tar. Yep. Roofing tar. She would no longer smell like baby powders, and I couldn't have her sparkle when I kissed her cheek. She had been murdered, and frankenstiened back together.. my heart was broken, but I tried to take her back, and keep her away from those stinky boys forever, but her head fell off. I had tar on me, my clothes and my doll baby. I decided to give another doll a try, but it wasn't the same. No other doll had grabbed my size year old heart like Baby Sparkles had.
Now, present time. Here I am, 30 years old, still broken hearted about my Baby Sparkles. I still cry thinking about that terrible day. I've had worse days by now. I appreciate that. But I'm still haunted by that day. I shared my story with my wonderful fiance a few years ago. He attempted to get me a Baby Sparkles, but something was weird with my address, and it wouldn't ship. I pushed the thought back, way back in my mind. Every once in a blue moon, it would surface.. but I just pushed it back. I found a BabY Sparkles on eBay, and told my Paul about her. So the sweet thing he is, he got it for me =) Best gift ever!!!!!!
That's what started this...
I saw this Sailor doll in walmart one day, and thought to myself how adorable it was. Then I thought about how I needed to take that doll home. So I did. It was a Lalaloopsy Workshop doll.
She was the beginning of a big obsession for me. I now have over 35 Lalaloopsy dolls. I have some Minis, some Full Size and some Workshops. In this blog, I will feature one doll a week, maybe more. I'll include information and news on upcoming dolls. I'll be making clothes, eventually, for my dolls that loose, out of box. I'll post those here as well as my other blog.
This isn't just about lalaloopsy dolls though. I have a few others I'll be featuring in this blog. All the dolls and action figures that I have and want. =)
Until next time,
Tonya@WoollyGhoulie

No comments:

Post a Comment